Thursday, February 4, 2010

Numbah Three

My opinion on McCandless hasn't changed much. I believed his story was an inspiring story, and still do. His bravery has inspired me to try things I always thought sounded crazy or even stupid. Reading the book though, has given me more reason. Even though he kind of died like super young, he still did something he probably wouldn't have done when he was 16 or whatever. I guess it goes to show that trying new things is good for life, just not living in the Alaskan wilderness on not much supplies. :p

4 comments:

  1. McCandless was brave, but he was unprepared for the Alaskan wildnerness. I saw him as an idiot for refusing help from the friends he made along the way to Alaska. His rifle that he had with him was not enough to protect him from any sort of wild animal. He had very little food and no money. He relied on a deserted bus for shelter and had nothing to make his own shelter (except for like Hawaiian style tents...which he probably didn't have the materials for). Like Lindsey, I still can't understand how he could ties with his sister and other friends. Companionship is important...I sure can't live without it. Although McCandless was brave for taking such a giant leap into the wild, I do not believe that he was prepared enough which probably got him to his death bed quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definetly give Chris credit for going out and doing what he wanted to do. But I myself, do not find him inspiring because he went out in the wilderness so unprepared, and he left his family and friends.. I guess i just have a hard time looking up to him because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said reading the book has inspired you to do things you would enver have done before. First off, i call bullshit. But second, don't do anything too brash. You know your limits better than anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My "things I wanna do" list doesn't include suicidal and stupid stuff that McCandless did. So don't worry! :D

    ReplyDelete