Thursday, April 22, 2010

Out of the papers you are putting into your English portfolio, which one do you think shows your best work and which one do you think needs to be edited the most? Explain why. Be specific. Provide examples of your best and weakest areas.

I think that out of all three of my papers, I would have to choose my personal analysis paper is my best work only because I have worked on it the most. Though I try to spend more time on my research paper rather than my Cleopatra paper, I always end up working on it. I think I just have a lot of interest in that topic rather than my other topics. My Cleopatra paper does show my better work too, I think I've included almost everything that needs to be included. Also, I have gotten it criticized by my group members, making it a little bit easier to mend the final product. I would just have to add a few more thoughts and ideas, and also to play around with the order of my paper.

I think the paper that needs a lot of work would have to be my lit essay. I haven't really touched it since I changed my topic. After working on it a little bit, I plan to submit that to be looked over by my group members and after that it will become better quality. I haven't done tremendous research regarding that paper either, so that is something that will be taken care of over the next 2 weeks after getting criticized by my group. Also, in my lit paper, I need to add more quotes from naysayers and try to incorporate more of them into it to further strengthen my essay. It's pretty hard to notice the very weak areas in your own paper, so I hope to get a lot of feedback through my group. I always tend to focus on the good parts of my own papers rather than the bad, so this group work is totally helping me out in that sense.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're enjoying the group work. I think finding naysayer arguments is a difficult thing to do. I can't really help you with that problem until I read it. After I read it I, as long as the others in our group, should be able to help you think of things that you could use as a naysayer argument. I would probably spend more time on that now, especially since you changed your topic. You will want to get that revised several times before the portfolio is due. Because you didn't really mention your weaknesses, I can't really mention how you will correct them. My only advice would be to start looking at the lit paper again because it will have to be done eventually. The earlier you can get it done, the more it can be proofed by our group and/or Rachel. If you want to, bring me a copy of your essay so I can give you my opinion of it outside of class. I will be more than willing to give you my insight on what I feel your argument/purpose is and help you tweak out any grammatical or citing (I noticed we need to help you there) issues that you may have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with what you said about the group work. It is really helpful and although I'm not very good at giving advice, the advice our group members have been giving me is really helpful and I think is really going to effect my portfolio grade. Also, being said about the naysayer! I totally forgot about that and haven't even included that in my research paper yet! I think I'm pretty much on the same page as you. What I would do is just get as many quotes and information about your naysayer and provide as many examples as possible. Also just read over your work, that way you can catch as many grammatical errors as possible, and then we will read over what you have in class and help each other out as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete